Re: launch server x without startx command

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Alexis Cothenet wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working using Cygwin XFree86. I'd like to avoid to type
> startx each time i click on the cygwin icon (lazy attitude;-)
> in a such way i could work directly in the X shell when i click on it.
> I have seen http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-01/msg00476.html (
> tried with my own ip)
> but it doesn't work for me.
> i'm working with tcsh shell.
> Maybe there is a place where i could launch the startx script ?
>
> Does someone know how i could manage that ?

Alexis,

In exactly what way doesn't it work for you?  Does the X server produce an
error, or do X clients report that no server is detected?

If the latter, make sure you have DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 in your
environment, otherwise the X apps won't know about the X server.

If the former, please post the exact command you're trying to add.  FWIW,
in the newer versions of Cygwin, you may be better off with using "setsid
XWin [options]" instead of "XWin [options] &".  One typo in the message
you referred to is that "xwin" is lowercase, while the executable is named
"XWin", but on most systems this shouldn't matter.

An alternative solution that was discussed (but I'm not aware of any
resolution) is to write a script that conditionally starts the X server if
it's not already running, and kick it off in every X client shortcut.
	Igor
P.S. Of course, there's always <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT