Re: Tcl/Tk wish and Cygwin/X

Markus Jung wrote:
I have a strange effect with my cygwin/x environment.
I've downloaded a Tcl/Tk application called secpanel. secpanel is a application tho manage ssh connection with a x-window interface.
Now, my problem is if I start the secpanel application with wish, it won't come up in my windowmaker x-environment. It comes up in my
normal XP environment an thats not the way I want it. I need this application in my x-window environment.

Search the archives for tcl/tk and X. It comes up every blue moon, but cygwin's tcl/tk package is really only there as a prerequisite for the insight debugger. Which, if you're debugging an X app -- or any embedded app for, say, Red Hat eCOS -- you want the debugger to appear as a native Windows app. No X server.

So, cygwin's tk package is MSWin, not X.

There was some talk about providing a split personality version of tk (either X or MSWin, like XEmacs is) -- but that talk only got to the dabbling stage. The current maintainer of tcl/tk, cgf, is understandably not enthusiastic about embarking on this effort.

However, if somebody else would like to make it happen, cgf might be convinced to turn over official maintainership of the package to that person. Maybe.

--
Chuck