"Alt Gr" key, with remote X-windows windows, strange behaviour

Problem:
When I want to type a character such as #, { or }, which require using the "Alt
Gr" key on a french keyboard, sometimes, a strange behaviour occurs; sometimes
it works nice.
It looks like it only happend when using vi or emacs.

Hardware:
I use some windows running on a true linux box, but displayed on a windows in
vmware system (vmware emulate an i386 like computer).
The cygwin-xfree is installed on this windows vmWare system.
(In fact, there is only one true computer).
I use a french keyboard.

Software Versions:
C:\>ver
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]

gay@chypre:~$ vmware -v
VMware Workstation 4.5.2 build-8848

linked is the cygcheck.out file.