RE: 30+ reasons why X-Win32 is Better than Cygwin/X

HI,

> > 5       Stability       Medium  High
>
> Quite unclear wording. I use Cygwin/X in my daily work and
> this proves it's stability. The multiwindow mode still has
> some issues but is very stable too.

Indeed, and misleads, too. I actually have a Starnet license, but no longer use
it. Reason: X-Win didn't display things properly, especially window-manager
owned windows - i.e. there were bugs. Cygwin/X worked fine. I did mail Starnet
with a bug report, but no action was taken over a period of several months.

> > 6       Display Number Setting  Manual  Automatic

That would be nice: tell Cygwin "start a server using the next available
display", rather than have to pick a specific number. However, I can't say I've
lost much sleep over it's lack.

> > 9       Multiple XDMCP Sessions Manual  Automatic
>
> Not sure what they mean with it. X-Win32 does connect
> automaticly to all XDMCP servers in the network? *g*

I guess they mean serving xdmcp from cygwin to external hosts??

If not, then I was using two xdmcp-served cygwin displays (to different linux
hosts) earlier today: it certainly is possible.

> > 10      Corporate Tech Support  No      Yes
> > 11      Corporate Bug Fix Support       No      Yes
>
> This corresponds to "bucks to pay". Cygwin/X  is free and you
> have a community which gives support. Critical bugs are
> usually fixed after few days.

Starnet support available <> bugs fixed. See above.

> > 12      Passing of Display Number to SSH Client Manual  Automatic

Ugh? What is this about.

> > 13      Integrated SSH Client with GUI  No      Yes
>
> This is an xserver not a multi purpose tool. With OpenSSH and

Fully agree. When I want an ssh client I'll pick one. I don't need cygwin/x or
starnet to be a jack-of-all-trades.

> > 14      Multiple Window Mode Performance        Slow
> Fast/Very Stable
>
> The stability can be improved. But the performance is good.

I would disagree "slow" too, but it's not "fast". And there are some anomalies.
Point to Starnet here, I think.

> > 16      Graphical Keymap Editing Tool   No      Yes
> Cygwin/X uses XKB. There are many tools for XKB support
> available which are not limited to only one xserver implementation

Starnets config tool is nice. I'll give them that. Mind you, I only had to use
it because the default keyboard layout was broken for my uk KB :-)

> > 30      Panning Support No      Yes

We have "-scrollbars" - almost there, barring the mouse control.

Mind you, I've only ever used this as a last ditch on crap display hardware.

> > 31      Suport for Multiple Users (e.g. Terminal Services)
>     No      Yes

I guess we need a port of xdm to Cygwin. Perhaps the cygwin/KDE project will
manage topoer kdm. However, I'm not sure why you would want this, really.

While wandering the net just now, I noticed this article. It would be great if
this could be nicely wrapped up for simpler use :-)
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/8078/print#N0x850ca10.0x8573cf4

Regards,

Ruth