Re: Corrupted overlapping pull-down menus

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Matthew Johnson wrote:

> [snip]
> > > I don't know exactly what version of Cygwin I'm using (how can I
> > > tell?),
>
> You can tell by opening a Cygwin shell and typing, "cygcheck --version".

No.  The output of "cygcheck --version" has *very little correlation* with
the installed version of Cygwin.  The way to find out the version of
Cygwin you're using is the same as that of finding out the version of
Linux (or any other Unix) that's being used: "uname -r".  The installed
version of Cygwin (and other packages) is also part of the output of
"cygcheck -svr".

> In fact, it is a oftne a really good idea to run "cygcheck -svr >
> cygchout" and attach the file 'cygchout' to email to this list, since
> many people can spot the problem right away from that output.

The output of "cygcheck -svr" provides information about the Cygwin
installation.  Sometimes there are configuration issues that result in
certain symptoms, and having that output available can help either confirm
or rule out those configuration issues as the cause of the poster's
symptoms.

OTOH, there are many guidelines for posting Cygwin-related questions to
the lists, all of which are listed at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT