Re: gnuplot: unable to open display ''

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Anthony John Sibthorpe wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been unable to view gnuplot images or run the test command even with my
> terminal type set to x11, as x11 just aborts.

The error message indicates you did not have the DISPLAY variable set.
This is usally done when using an xterm but not in the cygwin console.

$ export DISPLAY=:0.0
$ gv

> Nor can I do: startx
>
> as I get the following (no terminal, and just hangs):
> $ startx
>
> Welcome to the XWin X Server
> Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
> Release: 6.8.2.0-1
>
> Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
>
> XWin was started with the following command line:
>
> X :0 -multiwindow -clipboard
>
> (WW) /tmp mounted int textmode
> [snip]
>
> winInitMultiWindowWM - Hello
> winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Hello

This seems like a problem with the threads which occured with personal firewalls
like ZoneAlarm or beacuse of /tmp being mounted in textmode

can you please try if

$ mount -buf $(cygpath -m /tmp) /tmp

If you're using ZoneAlarm5 you can downgrade to ZoneAlarm 4.5 which did not
experience such problems.

bye
	ago
--