Re: xserver constantly scans local ports

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 02:13:33PM +0100, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>Valery Khamenya wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I start Xserver after fresh cygwin installation, this brings xterm window
>> and after few seconds xserver starts to scan constantly through my local ports.
>>
>> Q1. why ?
>
>This is because of the select implementation in cygwin.  It opens a
>port whenever XWin calls select() (about every second).  This was
>discussed many times on this mailing list and in the cygwin mailing
>list.

Actually, it is only supposed to open one port per thread and then use
that for select from then on.  It shouldn't be opening a new port every
time select is called in 1.5.13.  I specifically implemented this
behavior for cygwin/x:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-10/msg00093.html

I've just reverified this behavior with a test case.  So, unless
cygwin/x is using threads, I don't see why there would be any new
sockets being opened by the cygwin dll.

cgf