Re: startx hanging - startup problem located

"martouf ." wrote:

> I can state I am -not- having a "personal firewall problem".  With the
> help of 'Process Explorer' from sysinternals.com, I have been able to
> determine it is caused by 'cat.exe' using >90% CPU.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Process Explorer is a nice tool but it doesn't
always play nice with Cygwin.  Specifically, if you click on the Threads
tab of the Properties page of a process, ProcExp attaches its own thread
to the process and this causes the Cygwin process to consume 100% cpu.
You can trivially demonstrate this by clicking on any normal Cygwin
process in ProcExp and then going to the Threads tab in properties.  The
cpu usage will shoot to 100%, sometimes shared between the process being
examined and csrss.exe.  This does not mean there's anything wrong with
the process, it means that whatever ProcExp is doing is too invasive.

Brian