Re: startx hanging - startup problem located

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, martouf . wrote:

> in reference to my earlier message
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-03/msg00048.html
> and the following message
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-04/msg00152.html
>
> I can state I am -not- having a "personal firewall problem".  With the
> help of 'Process Explorer' from sysinternals.com, I have been able to
> determine it is caused by 'cat.exe' using >90% CPU.

XWin tries to start xkbcomp. This process start fails because ZoneAlarm
has broken the network stack and the cygwin fork emulation does not work
properly. Disabling XKB is a workaround but not the solution. Every user
which had this problem could confirm that uninstalling ZoneAlarm 5 (just
disabling does not help) did solve the problem. So this is obviously a
firewall problem.

bye
	ago
--