Re: startx hanging - startup problem located

I don't have ZoneAlarm.

I get past the xkbcomp problem by disabling keyboard extensions, at
which point 'cat' spins at >90% CPU on .Xauthority instead of 'sh'
spinning on xkbcomp.

I did not have this problem with an older cygwin.dll (see my earlier message).
  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-03/msg00048.html

Is the fork emulation not wait()ing properly?  'cat' seems to be
defunct at the time it is spinning, and yet it consumes CPU.  trying
to deliver SIGCHLD?  return value from exit()?