RE: FTP and xterm in 1.5.16...

Now that you mention it, I must be running MS's ftp.  This is a new
behavior, though (not necessary a bad one now that I know I was using MS's
ftp).  I have used ftp through xterm many many times in the past, and tried
to ftp into GNU.org literally right after finishing installing Cygwin
updates (unfortunately, I cannot remember all of the packages I
downloaded...there may have been some X packages).

Anyway, I tried installing ncftp to make sure I am not using MS's ftp and
all seems well again.

Thanks for the help.