Re: Attention libtool maintainer: Re: `make install' of glib fails

Franz Haeuslschmid wrote:

"Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit@familiehaase.de> writes:

Franz Haeuslschmid wrote:

After having managed to actually make the latest version of glib,
`make install' fails and spits out an error message that I don't
understand (excuse the mass of lines):

[... Output of make showing messages of undefined references ...]

Once again: any ideas?

-> -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lglib-2.0

I suppose you meant that I should place this into environment
variable `LDFLAGS'. Did that, ran `./configure' once again and
continued with `make'. Now it is `make' that fails again (in
directory gobject):

No, the other way around. If you have an older version of glib2 installed, and libtool links in the relink step against the older version, then there may well be undefined symbols, it should link against the fresh created glib2 library, this was a libtool bug which IMO was fixed in the Cygwin release of libtool-devel-1.5.10, but I may be wrong and it is only included in the experimental 1.9 release.

[...same error..]

This is the chain of commands that were executed:

  $ tar xvjf glib-2.6.4.tar.bz2
  $ cd glib-2.6.4
  $ export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lglib-2.0"

This must fail for sure as long as there is an older glib2 installed, since it failed to install the complete glib2-2.6.4 package.

  $ autoreconf --install --force --verbose
  $ ./configure
  $ make

Try to remove the current glib2 package before building 2.6.4 (and reinstall libtool-devel and friends). Then libtool has no chance to
pick up the system glib2.

You're linking against the old glib2 library, another libtool bug.
I thought that this was fixed in the latest release? Again, which version of libtool are you using now? Is it the one from the Cygwin
mirrors or do you have compiled your own version? Charles, wasn't
that included in the 1.5 release branch?

BTW, 1.5.18 is out: http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/libtool.html

I downloaded and built that version. `libtool --version' now
gives

  haeuslsc@pan ~/Src/glib-2.6.4
  $ libtool --version
  ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.18 (1.1220.2.245 2005/05/16 08:55:27)

It was meant as a ping to the libtool maintainer. Since there are always some Cygwin specific fixes in the libtool builds and we use a wrapper to call libtool-devel or libtool-stable according to the requested version in configure it is somewhat difficult to get this right for a standard Cygwin setup.

However, `autoreconf' still picks up the version that is
configured by the cygwin installer:

  haeuslsc@pan ~/Src/glib-2.6.4
  $ ./libtool --version
  ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.10 (1.1220.2.131 2004/09/19  12:46:56)

With ./ at the beginning of the line it will use the libtool generated during a previous configure run.

When I remove the libtool package using cygwin's `setup.exe', I
can't use autoreconf:

[...]

configure.in:457: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
configure.in:458: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
autoreconf: /usr/autotool/devel/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

I'm still perplexed.

Then the newer libtool wasn't installed correct.

Gerrit -- =^..^=