Re: xterm and right click and 'print window'

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, J. David Boyd wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone found a way to make this feature work, on any version of
> >> windows, with any printer?
> >
> > This works for me.  WinXP, networked printer.  As long as the PRINTER
> > variable is exported.
> >
> >> I've had no luck so far, and am grasping for clues.
> >>
> >> I've defined my $PRINTER as //quantex2/hplaserj, which prints okay
> >> from windows, but not cygwin.
> >
> > Open a regular bash window (no X), and type "echo $PRINTER".  If that
> > prints the correct thing, try "bash -c 'echo $PRINTER'".  If that
> > works too, type "xterm -display 127.0.0.1:0", and from that xterm type
> > "echo $PRINTER".  If you see the correct printer in all 3 cases, the
> > "Print Window" command should work (it does for me).
> >
> > Alternatively, since all xterm does is pipe stuff to lpr, does "lpr -P
> > //quantex2/hplaserj /etc/passwd" print /etc/passwd to that printer
> > (just to make sure lpr works)?
> >      Igor
>
> All the variable expansion looks fine, so maybe it is an lpr problem.
>
> When I try the command line
>
> "lpr -P //quantex2/HPLaserJ /etc/passwd"
>
> I get the error printer name is invalid.
>
> When I go back to what my profile set up, which is
> "HP LaserJet 6P", I actually get output.  I was thinking all along
> that I couldn't use that name, but perhaps cygwin's lpr has been
> patched to use the windows resource name?

lpr interacts directly with the print spooler, so whatever name is used
for the printer in Windows, lpr will also use.

> I also noticed that nothing came out of the printer until I
> sent another file...

That may be because your driver needs to be set up to send a FF after each
job.  There may be an lpr option for that as well, not sure.

> And, are you setup for DOS endings or Unix?

Unix, of course.  But it doesn't matter for lpr -- it's all pipes anyway.

> So, I can print from the command line.  But, after closing my
> terms and opening some new ones (just to be sure I have the correct
> environment), and verifying that $PRINTER is still "HP LaserJet 6P",
> I get nothing from 'Print window', and I don't see any errors.
> I wonder if there is a log somewhere that I can peruse.

If you start an xterm from a bash console window, all error messages from
that xterm go into the console window.  Otherwise, you can redirect the
stdout/stderr of the xterm to a file.

> Anyway, thanks for the help. I guess I won't worry about it
> for now.  I can always do an Alt-PrtScn and paste it
> somewhere to print it.

It would be interesting to find out why your config doesn't work.  Do you
have PRINTER set in the global Windows environment?  How do you start your
xterm?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT