Re: Back in Cygwin X world after ages...

cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com schrieb am 16.06.05 15:26:10:

> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Andreas Eibach wrote:
>
> > - Most people would use startx to start the X Window session as they're used to it from Linux.
> > Strangely though, startx does NOT open a "real" X main window, but an xterm ONLY.
> > Is there a reason why? I think it's misleading.
>
> Many people requested that startx would use the multiwindow mode instead of the
> single window mode. So the startup scripts were changed to reflect  that.
>
> > xinit, however, does the thing that *I* want, that is, a big window that fills the whole screen and launches an xterm on the upper left edge.
>
> you can customize how xinit (and startx) start xserver and clients.
>
> Add a $HOME/.xserverrc which start XWin without the -multiwindow option but the
> -scrollbars options and $HOME/.xinitrc which is the same as the one in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc but which starts an additional windowmanager.

Been through that already, but thanks anyway. :)

> > Unfortunately, the window is not resizable.
>
> There is an option -scrollbars which might do that (resizable window and scrollbars
> to adjust the position)

Yes! That helped.

> > However, with the old framebuffer-based experimental X version, I remember a pre-installed window manager *with* pull-down menus. I managed to load a window manager (by typing /usr/X11R6/bin/twm &), but there were still no pull-down menus. I like(d) fvwm / fvwm2 a lot and it had everything I needed in X.
>
> The cygwin distribution contains windowmaker and I remember users which
> used openbox too.

Yes, thanks! Windowmaker is exactly what I need.
(although I'd like to have fvwm2 too, I wonder why it is not offered ... ? My fuzzy memory tells me in the old alpha X version(s), fvwm2 was used indeed. But maybe my memory fails completely here.)

> > I hope that I do not need Gnome to be able to work reasonably with X? I like menus, but I do not need a Windoze-ish task bar; I never needed it in Linux anyway.
> > I also found all Cygwin-X start menu entries EMPTY, hence I assume that Cygwin X expects from me that I want Gnome (which I do not need in any case, at least not now :))
>
> They usually contain links to programs from the xorg-x11-bin package.
Ummm ... that would mean that I don't have those installed? But I checked and I do have indeed. (xorg-x11-bin* , all of them) Strange....but well for now, I can live with this.

Thank you very much for your reply.

-Andreas