Remote Java GUI window decoration in multiwindow mode

Hello,

I'm running Cygwin/X in multiwindow mode and it works quite fine. However,
if I try to start a Java GUI that uses default look&feel window decoration
on a remote box, I get the following error in the shell on the remote host
and the application won't start:
 ---
 Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x7d)!
 ---

To make things a little bit clearer: I'm running Windows XP Professional
with Cygwin/X on my machine. Options to XWin are "-multiwindow -clipboard
-silent-dup-error". I open an xterm and do an "ssh -Y remotehost". The
remote host runs under Linux and has Sun JDK 1.4.2_05 installed. Then I
start my Java GUI that has been told to use system look and feel window
decorations. Then the error mentioned above occurs. There's no error entry
in my Cygwin XWin.log.
 For those familiar with Java: The top level container is a JFrame and
there's the following line in the application's source code:
 ---
 JFrame.setDefaultLookAndFeelDecorated(true);
 ---

I have found three workarounds to this problem, but as the name suggests
these are only workarounds and don't satisfy me.
 1) Removing the line mentioned above from the source code and running
without changed window decorations obviously solves this problem. ;)
 2) It works, too, if I don't run Cygwin/X in multiwindow mode and use twm
or openbox as window manager.
 3) Another solution is to use JDK 5.0. I didn't recompile my application
with JDK 5.0, but used the classes generated with 1.4.2_05 and was able to
successfully start it with the JRE from JDK 5.0. However this way I have
the standard Windows window decoration wrapped around the window
decorations that are used on my Linux box. :(

The last solution makes me wonder if this is actually a problem with
multiwindow mode in Cygwin/X or a bug in the older JDK.

Bye

Michael

--
Michael Denk                     Fakultät für Mathematik und Informatik
Tel. +49 (0851) 509-3136         Universität Passau, Raum K08 IM (Aquarium)