RE: "cannot open display"

Hello,

Thanks for helping me. I turned off my McAfee firewall and virus scans, but, unfortunately, running "startxwin.bat" gave the same error message as before (reproduced below). Can you give some further advice?

Thanks,
Richard Goldstein

I have recently installed the entire Cywin package on my Dell Dimension 3000, Windows XP. It works fine until I run xmgrace, or xfig. Then I get the error message "cannot open display". I have tried "export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0", and "startxwin.bat". They give me the message below:

Any advice you can send me will be most welcome.

Thanks,
Richard Goldstein

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.8.2.0-2

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1024 h 768
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
(WW) /tmp mounted int textmode
_XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: listen() failed
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for inet
_XSERVTransmkdir: Cannot create /tmp/.X11-unix with root ownership
_XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: listen() failed
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in pro gress