Re: How do I fix "XDMCP fatal error: Manager unwilling Host unwilling"?

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Angus Veitch wrote:

> Running the default startxdmcp.bat with "XWin :0 -query %REMOTE_HOST%
> -nodecoration -lesspointer" fails at: "Fatal server error: XDMCP fatal
> error: Manager unwilling Host unwilling".  The full XWin.log follows:
>
> Fatal server error:
> XDMCP fatal error: Manager unwilling Host unwilling

> Now, I'm new to both Linux and XDMCP, so I'm still feeling my way in
> this area.  But I have managed to track down "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" and
> modify the approriate line to:
>
> [Xdmcp]
> Enable=true
>
> I have also done a few other things specified in the "XDMCP HowTo"
> available at http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/.  But due to the
> specifics of MEPIS combined with my inexperience with Linux, there is
> still a reasonable chance that I have missed something.

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-xdmcp-query

XDMCP and firewalls

XDMCP will not work correctly if you have a personal firewall installed or the built-in firewall of Windows is activated.

The XDMCP protocol will send and receive data on port 177/UDP. But the actual connections will be made to the local port 6000/TCP. It is safe to allow connections since the xserver has an own security layer. An overview of used ports is given in Table 2.

Table 2. Ports used with XDMCP connections
Port	Protocol	Direction	Comment
177	UDP	Incoming/Outgoing	Actual XDMCP connection
6000+display	TCP	Incoming	Connection for X11 clients. display is usally 0 except you specify it on the commandline.

Special Note: XDMCP does not work with any kind of network address translation

There are configuration files for xdm which control which host can connect
to the xdmcp server. They are usally located in /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess. KDM
may use different locations. The default will allow any host access. But I
don't know how the installed files differ from the defaults.

You might want to ask the distributor of MEPIS how to get XDMCP access to
the system.

bye
	ago
--