RE: Cygwin doesn't recognize the Canadian French keyboard

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>Ah.  I'm going to venture a guess and say that it's not simply an xterm,
>but an xterm running bash[*] that doesn't work, and direct you to
><http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC48>.

>[*] bash uses readline, and, most likely, so does the python interpreter
environment (top-level?).

Your guess is right.  I have followed the link and adapt to my specific
need but it seems that I have missed something.  Accented characters are
printed as if convert-meta is set to on.  As an example e (e acute) is
displayed as \351.  These are my home configuration files

# .bashrc
?
alias less='less -r'
alias ls='ls -F --color=tty --show-control-chars'
export LANG="fr"
export LC_ALL="fr_CA"
export LC_CTYPE="iso-8859-1"
export OUTPUT_CHARSET="iso-8859-1"
export LESSCHARSET="iso8859"
setxkbmap ca_enhanced

# .inputrc
set meta-flag on 	# enable 8-bit input
set convert-meta off 	# don't strip 8-bit characters
set input-meta on	# enable 8-bit input
set output-meta on 	# display 8-bit characters correctly

Daniel Landry