Re: compiling flpsed under Cygwin

"Stephen P. Harris" wrote:

> "I use xfree86 as my x server for my cygwin windows lyx,
> perhaps there is a conflict? I have all the files for both
> Xfree and X11 org installed and the compatibility file.
> There is no LibXll.so native to my computer."

There will never be a "libX11.so" on your computer because that's not
the correct name.  The configure script may print an error message
saying that it can't find "libX11.so", but that is an error that the
authors of that script made.  On Cygwin/Windows, shared libraries do not
end in .so.  The file libX11.dll.a is the name of the X11 import library
under Cygwin, and it is included in the -devel package, and if setup
properly it will be found when a program tries to link with -lX11.

> Since all includes (xorg-x11-devel) your advice must be
> speculative since that is not the solution. I only want

When people do not provide complete details (such as cygcheck output) or
provide contradicting information (such as "I'm using both XFree86 and
Xorg servers"), all replies are going to be speculative in nature.

> you are not representative of the caliber of support
> available on this mailing list.   Brian wrote:

I'm not.  Most people would not bother replying.

> Previously SH wrote:
> Claus also includes a startxwin.bat; so maybe I could
> change it easily or maybe not, it it ain't broke don't fix it.
>
> I don't see how you could be sure that the script will
> work just as well with either X-org or Xfree?? Unless

startxwin.bat is a script that is packaged WITH the X11 packages.  It it
not special to flpsed in any way.  Thus if you install the xorg-x11-*
packages you will have a working startxwin.bat.  Even if you used an old
startxwin.bat from the XFree86 packages with the X.org server, it would
work.  The X.org server is an evolution/fork of the XFree86 code.  The
XWin.exe command line arguments are the same.

> I did not ask whether Xfree was deprecated in favor of Xorg.
> What you wrote indicates that it is not the choice of active
> server which dictates whether flpsed will compile or not, as
> long as the requisite libraries are installed for Xorg-devel.

I mentioned it because the XFree86 packages are old and out of date.  If
you are trying to use them, you are on your own.  Cygwin does not
support them and hasn't for a long time.  It's naturally your choice,
but don't expect any help from this list if you're not using the X.org
server.

> I did not ask for your opinion on matters that did not have
> a direct bearing on the compilation of flsped. Nor do I

You asked for help compiling flpsed.  flpsed is an X11 application.
Using old and unsupported X11 packages is relevent to compiling X11
applications.

> Pontificate on your own dime. My point has nothing to do with
> the correctness of your advice, but the irrelevancy of it to flpsed.
>
> Don't you or any of your ilk waste my time any more,

*plonk*

Brian