Running Commands with xterm -e

When using xterm to run a command such as:

xterm -hold -e "man ls"

cygwin reports the error message:

no absolute path found for shell : man ls

However, if the command is run with:
   xterm -hold -e man ls

everything appears to work fine.

I should mention that both of the commands above worked fine in the past and that this problem has only come about after I installed the latest version of cygwin earlier this month.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has suggestions of how to diagnose what the problem may be or how to fix it. I suspect it may have something to do with an environment variable that xterm uses when resolving strings such as "". I have checked the $PATH variable and even tried explicitly giving the command /usr/bin/man without any improvement, so the problem may be something else.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Best regards,
          Paul