Re: Can I close the startx cygwin shell?

Trebor Sreyb <tsreyb@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- "J. David Boyd" <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
>
>> I use the startxwin.bat file in the
>> c:\cgywin\usr\X11R6\bin folder.  You can
>> modify to open several xterms, or whatever you want,
>> and it works great.
>

> I had tried once to customize startxwin.bat for my
> needs but gave up because it won't successfully launch
> my window manager (wmaker). Hence since then I have
> been using startx from within a cygwin shell session.
>
> Looks like I need to resolve the original problem
> first before I can get rid of that unwanted shell
> window.
>
> So, what happens with my startxwin.bat is that wmaker
> gets started, but the mouse is unusable, and the
> initial icons I expect to see never get displayed.
> Only an empty wmaker desktop. I can start an xterm,
> but its window has no title bar, resizing button,
> window borders, etc. I can use the keyboard.
>

> I had changed startxwin.bat to run the following :
>
> cd c:\cyghome\tsreyb
> run XWin -clipboard -silent-dup-error
>

> Also, the contents of my .xinitrc (in
> c:\cyghome\tsreyb) are:
>
> PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"
> exec wmaker
>

> I suspected the problem was that certain X environment
> variables aren't set, because, by comparing
> environment variables with and without the problem, I
> find these aren't set when the problem exists:
>
> XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
> XAUTHORITY=/cygdrive/c/cyghome/tsreyb/.Xauthority
> XCMSDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xcms.txt
> XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
> XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale
>
> But, using startxwin.bat, where am I supposed to set
> these?
>
> I tried putting them in startxwin.bat, like this:
>
> SET XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
> SET XAUTHORITY=/cygdrive/c/cyghome/bbyers/.Xauthority
> SET XCMSDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xcms.txt
> SET XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
> SET XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale
> run XWin -clipboard -silent-dup-error
>
> but those variables still don't appear in an xterm
> after the manager is started, and the
> windowing/mousing problems persist.
>
> I also placed them in .xinitrc, but, again, the
> variables never get set and the problems persist.
>
> I even placed them in .cshrc and .profile. Still, no improvement.

 I went into the default startxwin.bat, and changed and uncommented the run
 twm command to be run wmaker (sp?), and changed -multiwindows to -rootless,
 and everything worked fine.

I can send you a copy of it tomorrow from work, if you would like to look at
it, as I took today off, and have no remote access to my work machine from
home.