Re: Remote login, then nothing happens

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Andy Schmidgall wrote:

> Peter Valdemar Morch wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a mailing list about the X server in Cygwin. Sounds to me like
> > you are asking about ssh specific stuff.

I'm not sure this is true -- this pertains to X forwarding over ssh, so
IMO belongs on this list.

> > Andy Schmidgall mrflippy-at-tresgeek.net |Lists| wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running cygwin/X on my Windows XP Home box, and am trying to
> > > connect to my Linux (Fedora Core 4) box. X runs fine on my windows
> > > machine, but I can't seem to get the remote connection working. I've
> > > tried ssh -X, ssh -Y, multiple combinations of options for those.
> > > All result in the same thing: I'm asked for my password, I enter it,
> > > and then... nothing. Nothing else happens. The logs on the linux box
> > > indicate that it accepted the ssh session. X Forwarding is enabled
> > > in my ssh config file on the linux box. I've read and reread the FAQ
> > > and documentation. I see nothing of note in any logs that I can
> > > find. Any ideas what might be wrong?
> >
> > If you open a non-X cygwin session in a "dos box", and then type:
> > cygwin-prompt> DISPLAY=:0 xwininfo.exe -root
> > Does that show information or an error message?
>
> It waits a minute, and then gives me:
> xwininfo:  unable to open display ':0'
> usage:  xwininfo [-options ...]

Heh.  To get X forwarding over ssh, you need at least 2 things: a running
X server, and for ssh to know which display the X server runs on[*].  The
above seems to indicate that the X server is either not running, or is
running on the wrong display.

> (and then a bunch of options)
>
> > cygwin-prompt> DISPLAY=:0 ssh -Y user@server
> > do you then get a
> > Password:
> > prompt?
> >
> > If you do, and you enter your linux password, do you then get a prompt
> > on your linux box? If not, this question is probably not related to X
> > at all. Contact e.g. another cygwin list.
>
> I get a password prompt, but after entering my password, nothing else
> happens. I do not get a command prompt after entering my password.

Does the same happen if you run "ssh -x" (note the lowercase) without
DISPLAY= and -Y?  If so, you may indeed have a general ssh issue -- try to
get a working prompt first, and then set up X forwarding.

> If there is another list I should be sending this too, please let me
> know. I wasn't quite sure what specific area the problem fell under.

I think until we determine otherwise, let's continue this on cygwin-xfree.

One more place to check is your startup scripts on the remote machine.
Do they change the value of DISPLAY (they shouldn't -- it should be left
at whatever ssh sets it to)?  Do they try to launch an X client if DISPLAY
is set (that could be what's causing the apparent "hang")?
	Igor
[*] Well, there are more configuration options to check, but the two
things above are required regardless of the configuration.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu