Re: Remote login, then nothing happens

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

(and then a bunch of options)

cygwin-prompt> DISPLAY=:0 ssh -Y user@server
do you then get a
Password:
prompt?

If you do, and you enter your linux password, do you then get a prompt
on your linux box? If not, this question is probably not related to X
at all. Contact e.g. another cygwin list.

I get a password prompt, but after entering my password, nothing else
happens. I do not get a command prompt after entering my password.

Does the same happen if you run "ssh -x" (note the lowercase) without DISPLAY= and -Y? If so, you may indeed have a general ssh issue -- try to get a working prompt first, and then set up X forwarding.

ssh -x (lowercase) works just fine. I enter my password and immediately receive a command prompt.

One more place to check is your startup scripts on the remote machine.
Do they change the value of DISPLAY (they shouldn't -- it should be left
at whatever ssh sets it to)? Do they try to launch an X client if DISPLAY
is set (that could be what's causing the apparent "hang")?
Igor
[*] Well, there are more configuration options to check, but the two
things above are required regardless of the configuration.

I don't see any scripts that would change the DISPLAY variable on the server. Also, if I ssh directly in to the server, "echo $DISPLAY" shows that the variable is empty. Should this have a value?

If I kill the shell process on my windows machine, the xterm throws an error: "Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding." and then logs me in to the server with a text command prompt. I'm not sure if this is important or anything.

Thanks for the help so far.

-Andy