xmkmf resuling in bad search path for std includes?

I'm cross-posting this to cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com, and cygwin@cygwin.com because, although it appears to be X-related, the root cause may turn out not to be. Here's what's up...

I'm attempting to build an X-client from source. I've done it many times before without a hitch, although the last time I did so was many, many months ago. In the meantime, I've regularly run setup.exe to keep my Cygwin install up-to-date.

The process for building this X-client involves (1) running "xmkmf -a", which creates the Makefile and implicitly runs "make depend", and then (2) running "make all" to actually build the client.

I'm running into trouble at the "make depend" point in the process. It's not finding a couple of include files. Here's an example message:

makedepend: warning: x2x.c (reading /usr/include/sys/unistd.h, line 13): cannot
find include file "stddef.h"
not in /usr/X11R6/include/stddef.h
not in /usr/local/lib/gcc-include/stddef.h
not in /usr/include/stddef.h
not in /usr/include/w32api/stddef.h
not in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.3/include/stddef.h

If I do "find / -name stddef.h" it returns the following:

/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/include/stddef.h
/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/install-tools/include/stddef.h

As I see it, either xmkmf is setting up the wrong search path, or something is wrong with my gcc installation (since make depend is looking in 3.3.3/include but the files are located in 3.4.4/include).

Attached is the result of running cygcheck.

Advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks.