Re: Grey screen problem

Ken Dibble wrote:

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:20:09PM -0400, Francois Couillard wrote:
I'm using windows 2000 to connect to a Debian Sarge server.

Using Cygwin, I'm typing xwin -query myip to connect to my Debian server. Theres only a grey screen that appears with an 'x' cursor. I also tried xwin -query hostip -from clientip without success.

The .log says: Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID, removing from list.

Looking at the FAQ, they say to
Open a Cygwin shell and run *umount /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts*.

When I type this, it just says "theres no such file or directory" even though it exists.

I reinstalled the font components and it didn't work

I can connect with my server using ssh without problem.

Someone got the same problem on the mailing list at
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-03/msg00017.html

So I checked the FAQ, the mailing list and even the #cygwin room on MIRC and can't find a decent answer.

On the debian box, does the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config contain a line that says:

X11Forwarding yes

and does the file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf contain

Enable=true

Additionally you cannot login as root if
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf contains the default line of

AllowRoot=false

Before changing any of the default settings it is a good idea to read about X security and understand the implications of what you are changing.

Regards,
Ken

I forgot to say it but I already changed thoses values (Except AllowRoot).

I just tried AllowRoot = true and it still doesn't work.

How can I start Xwin with another login than root? I though the GNOME login screen would ask me to log in?