Re: My attempt to use Cygwin seems doomed to failure in spite of...

Kind of off topic, but

and i use my modem/router's configuration to not
expose my PC to the internet, rather than running a PC firewall.

This does not give you the same protection as running a PC firewall. A PC firewall allows you to determine which applications are allowed to make connections out to the internet. Since most bot-ware makes connections from your computer out to another server to do its evil, and to your router firewall, it just looks like you making another internet connection, it won't stop it.

A PC firewall is much more effective at stopping the activities of most of todays viruses than a separate hardware firewall.

Its a shame that the popular PC firewall vendors won't provide more help in fixing whatever causes the problems with Cygwin.

FYI - I'm using Zone Alarm Pro 5.5.062 with Cygwin without any problems.

Dan