Re: XWin hangs on opening xterms

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Norbert Harendt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I updated cygwin a few days ago, now my xwindow-remote sessions are
> often hanging and are consuming a lot of cpu-power. In detail:
>
> I am running a W2K-machine with 2 cpus and connect to a linux-X-server
> via cygwins
>    XWin -query 192.168.1.100 -once
> in order to get the logon-screen of the linux-server. Before last days
> update all was performing very will (but now i don't know which version
> that was)
>
> Now i get the following output:
> [snip]
> At this point the Cygin/X-windows hangs.

Did you let it run long enough?  Looks like it's trying to fork, and the
DLLs are being loaded.  Does the CPU show any activity during the "hang"?
Does the disk?  Try running it under strace to see if it's really a hang,
a busy loop, etc.  If you get any output at all during the "hang", XWin is
probably doing something useful.

> but than the logon screen of the linuxserver appears in the
> Cygwin/X-Window and i am able to login. The initialisation of the
> X-desktop is done as usual. But every time i open an xterm, the
> Cygwin/X-Window hangs again. Again killing the second XWin.exe brings
> Cygwin/X-Window back to life, producing an output similar to the
> following

> 332281787 [main] XWin 804 fork_parent: child 1476 died waiting for dll loading
>
> Can anybody tell me, what is happening ????

Yes.  XWin forks to be able to spawn off a process (in this case, xterm).
You have killed the forked child, thus XWin is not able to create the
xterm process.  Don't do that.
HTH,
	Igor
--