Re: XWin hangs on opening xterms: Conflict with software FRITZ!DSL Startcenter

Jack Tanner <ihok <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> Norbert Harendt wrote:
> >>Could it be a firewall of some sort?
> >
> > It is a kind of firewall used with german DSL-router
>
> Cygwin/X is known to conflict with some software firewalls, like
> ZoneAlarm, even if they are only installed and not running. It works
> fine, however, with the Windows XP SP2 Personal Firewall. You may just
> have to uninstall the Fritz software. Perhaps you could use a hardware
> firewall built into a router like a Linksys WRT54G instead of the Fritz one.

Thanks for your hints. I tried out a similar strategy. I uninstalled the Fritz
software and installed agnitum firewall, now Cygwin/X is running fine. In
parallel i contacted AVM (the vendor of Fritz software) and informed them of the
malfunction. Perhaps one day in future i can use fritz software again ...