Re: my 3 heads = apps in the dead zone

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Chris Green wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 09:51:12AM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this a problem with the app, cygwin/x, x.org, Win or my config?
> >
> > Ultimately, window placement is the responsibility of the window manager.
> > However, most window managers assume a single rectangular desktop area.
>
> Hmph, not any more according to most 'modern' window manager
> programmers.  I've had this discussion with two lots of developers of
> same and both have now given up any support for positioning of windows
> through the window manager.  At least user control of where the window
> is positioned is no longer done using the window manager
> configuration.

This does not contradict what I said.  Even if all the window manager does
is pass the user's preference of where to place the window directly to the
X server, it's still up to the window manager to act as a liaison to the
server.  If there is no user preference specified, the window manager
should be the one placing the window (even if it just defaults to (0,0)).

I'd be happier to find out that some window manager does support
irregularly shaped displays (and even happier to know that someone was
working on getting the windows native WM to support them). :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu