Re: Removal or anonymization of a posting

Cygwin/X User wrote:

> it's now for many years that I find a certain posting
> in the cygwin xfree archive associated with my name
> and (office) email address when I'm looking for my
> name with the GOOGLE search engine.
>
> I have accepted this for the elapsed time for the sake
> of other users that might have found help in the
> answer to my question. (But I was never happy with it
> and I did never agree to this practice at all.)
>
> Now more than 3 years later I can't see any benefit in
> this posting and so I want to ask you to remove or at
> least anonymize it (and change the file name!!!)
>
> I'm talking about the following posting:
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-11/msg00202.html
>
> Internet, news groups and so on are a great thing but
> only in conjunction with a careful handling of
> personal data, privacy etc.  I hope you understand my
> petition and spend those 10 minutes to erase my
> personal data from the archive.

I think you need to accept that any information posted to a public
mailing list is... public.  That is just the way it is, as is clearly
stated at the top of <http://sourceware.org/lists.html>.  There is zero
expectation of privacy when posting to a public list.

Furthermore, these lists are archived in many places
(marc.theaimsgroup.com, mail-archive.com, gmane.com, etc) and so even if
someone removed your post from sourceware it would still exist in those
other places.

Brian