RE: windows XP : cygwin -X server not opening

Alexander wrote on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 11:32 AM::

> I thought you're off working for a real company.
> The lines I was refering to are:
>
> MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
>> XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to
>> lack of shared memory
> And this imo does cause XWin to fail.
           ^^^

Your opinion is worth how much squat?  Diddley?

I have been running XWin without shared memory support for years
without fault.  In fact, my experience is that it is MORE reliable
without it.

Since you are so keen on urging others to read the documentation, I
suggest you do so yourself before criticising others.

If you had done so, you would have seen in
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-shared-memory.html that:

~ XWin.exe will not use Shared Memory if the CYGWIN does not contain
~ the server keyword. Starting XWin.exe with
~   CYGWIN=server XWin.exe
~ will enable Shared Memory support if the cygserver service is running.

Shared memory use is OPTIONAL.  This is also implied by the log entry.
There have also been numerous references to this on this list (which
is archived and searchable).

Phil

the H.E Information Systems Ltd.
Tel:    0161 866 9066