Xedit Load or Save "can't resolve pathname"

I'm making an effort but can't seem to get even basic
functionality to work with Xedit.  The manual says new
files can be created if no file argument is given.
When
I start Xedit, key in a file name in the argument
window
and click "Load" or "Save" I get "can't resolve
pathname".

I'm using WinXP Home with NTFS.  I've tried entering
the full path of the file name but no go.  How to fix this?