startx broken. Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server,Xlib: Noprotocol specified

Was this ever resolved, and if so, how?  I'm having
the same problem.

    * From: Leonard Berman <namreb at us dot ibm dot
com>
    * To: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
    * Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:47:09 -0500
    * Subject: startx broken. Xlib: connection to
":0.0" refused by server,Xlib: Noprotocol specified

I started having this problem a week ago when I
accidentally shut down W2K
which X was running.  Since then I have reinstalled
all of cygwin with no
effect.  (I did not remove the cygwin directory tree.)

When I run startx from bash,  a window opens; however,
 the window manager
(fvwm2) cann't connect.   XWin.log is included below.
I assume the problem
is a missing config file which is flagged in the log,
but I'm at a loss at
how to proceed.

startxwin.sh works and from inside the resulting
window, fvwm2 runs;
however startx behaves the same.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Len