Re: Newbie help

I think you are confused about the use of the word server as it
applies to X-Windows type applications.  In X windows, the "client" is
the program such as emacs. The X-Windows server manages the display
for the client program.  A client program will ask the X-Windows
server to draw something on the display.  The X-Windows Server does
the work and we users get to see the result.

The Cygwin X-Windows server is NOT a Windows Service.  It is just a
program, like any other.  Once you have lauched it, you can lauch a
terminal program like xterm (A X-Windows Client program) to start up
other X-Window client programs.