Re: Scaleable fonts

John Rehill wrote:
> Am posting this here, due to the fact below that it was pointed out
> this is more a cygwin/x thing...
>
> So what is the purpose of the cygwin/x scaleable fonts?  How exactly
> are they implemented into the running of cygwin & cygwin/x?
>
> Thanks in advance

Let's back up and look again at what you really want...

>> Am trying to get scaleable fonts in a command window
>> running under cygwin.

>> I want to have it so that when the user changes the
>> window size or maximizes it, the fonts 'grow' with the window.

Igor tried to tell you this really isn't a cygwin/x issue, and scalable
fonts won't do this for you, at least not with the regular command window.

There are other alternatives to the command window.  There is xterm, which
runs under X, and rxvt, which has both an X and a native-windows mode.  But
I don't think either of these will do what you want, either.  Most terminal
type windows just give you more lines/columns when you resize them and not
increase the font.

But, you can select different font sizes which will cause the window to
grow/shrink accordingly.  If that is acceptable to you, instead of using the
normal resize controls, check those out.  e.g. in xterm try ctrl-right
click.

You may try asking back on the main list if the new native-only experimental
rxvt will have a similar option if you don't want to run X just to get this.

Cary