Re: STARTXWIN.BAT Hanging Under Win2KPro

<snip>
This is EXACTLY the behavior I'm getting & am describing as a "hang", except
that I don't get a xterm.  The reason I'm trying to track it down is that I
would *really* like to drop a link to startxwin.bat into my startup folder and
have it run at startup so I don't have to think about it.

This is exactly what I do and startup is normally successful, but not always successful. In those cases I have a short-cut on the desktop and I just double click it.

I see this more if I shutdown and restart the X server.  I have found
that if I put my laptop into standby, X doesn't survive the restart
well, so I normally shutdown X before setting it into standby and then
manually restart X afterwards, which is more often when I see the
failure.

I suspect that the issue is in the section of the bat file that
attempts to cleanup after the last run, were it removes the named pipe
and temporary directory heirachy.   Since the operating system caches,
I suspect that the remove commands may still be running from this
cleanup when the X server starts running or there is some other
latency.

I've not be able to reproduce reliably enough to test a potential fix,
but if you can, try adding a sleep after:

:CLEANUP-FINISH
if exist %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix rmdir %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix

# Allow time to be sure the cleanup has finished
sleep 10

Brett