Re: gnome desktop

Hi Robert,

Robert Wolf <rwolf <at> sears.ca> writes:
> I noticed there is a 'gnome' package in cygwin. Is this a complete gnome
> desktop that I can run locally? If so how to start it up?

Unfortunately not.  I've given up on getting gnome to work out of the box.  If
you search on sourceforge.net for cygnome, you'll find instructions which allow
you to point your cygwin setup.exe at alternative archive.  This contains
various gnome components.  I've found that inspite of the ease with which the
installer builds most things, getting gnome to run is a real nightmare.  I had
to symlink various library_version.dll's to library.dll's in the /bin dir.
This got it working to a point where my desktop seg-faulted and my own patience
collapsed.

I haven't actually seen many mortals with working cygnome implementations and,
in answer to your question, simply including the 'gnome' stuff in the initial
set-up doesn't do much more than load in a number of applications and gtk
libraries.  You "don't" get gnome-session.  Once's you have managed to get it
on your box, it's still hell to set-up.

Don't give up, but do report your feed back.  I for one would be interested.

Cheers,

Raf