startx failure, on fresh install

startx won't start X, after fresh install of latest cygwin on fresh XP laptop

See previous report here:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2006-08/msg00099.html

(no responses to that). I've found one other user with exactly the same problem, but have had no response in this forum or in the cybertechhelp forum where the other user posted, so I'm posting again.

Currently, my options seem to be:
(1) go buy another laptop, maybe cygwin-x will work on that one. I kind of like this one, though, everything else works on it.
(2) attempt to 'downgrade' from 6.8.99 to 6.8.1 / 6.8.2 (there's a mix of these available on the mirrors); I've seen one report by a user who had success fixing a similar issue by this means. Is there anythng I should know before I try this? It seems that setup.exe will refuse to change all the X components at once, in particular the xorg-x11-base needs to be changed separately. Do I change it first, or last? My previous experience with this sort of thing makes me concerned that I'll irrevocably mess up my install if I do this wrong.