Re: Cygwin X fails to start

I had this problem as well.  Oddly, I had a mount of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
that was a "user"
mount in textmode -- and I cound't use "umount" to remove it (it would
complain about
invalid path, or something).  I searched the registry for the mount, but
didn't find it (I found
all the others).  To fix the problem, I first quit any running cygwin
programs, then from a CMD
shell, I mounted another user mount over the top of the old one, which I was
THEN able to
umount.  After THAT, I remounted /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts in binmode (system
mount), THEN I reinstalled
all the fonts (as mentioned here:
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof).

THAT, FINALLY fixed my problem.

This all started when I ran the cygwin setup program to update various
versions of things
(that's what killed it).

I was suprised that not more people had reported this, as I'm running a
pretty stock install.

    - Matt Goheen