Re: xterm Xt error: Can't open display

Many thanks for your help, it was very useful and much appreciated. I made a .xinitrc in my home directory and this did not work. However when I turned off my internet security software (norton internet security), cygwin worked fine. upon further examination i found out that norton was blocking Xwin and all cygwin programs. Now everything works fine apart from the fact i still see this message whenever i start xwin
startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003
6 [main] run 1852 tty_list::allocate: No tty allocated
9 [main] run 4020 tty_list::allocate: No tty allocated

thanks once again

claire