Re: xfree: problem killing java processes

When I start Java processes in an rxvt window (no X), ^C returns the
control without actually killing all the child processes.

In this specific case, I am running ant, either through ant.bat, ant
(shell script) or through a custom perl wrapper (which directly
executes java bypassing  ant.bat or ant).

When the perl wrapper is used it is started from another batch file,
so here is how the process execution:
- batch starts a perl command
- perl command starts java (ant)
- ant starts another java process

The process tree as shown by sysinternals' process explorer is:

bash
 cmd
   perl
     java
       java

When I hit ^C, bash and cmd exit immediately leaving perl and the two
java processes.

Similarly, when I use the ant shell script, I see:

sh
 java
   java

Hitting ^C in this case kills sh and the outer java process leaving
the last java process.

When using ant.bat, I see:

bash
 cmd
   java
     java

Hitting ^C in this case kills bash and cmd, leaving the two java processes.

A bit of analysis shows that the propagation of kill signal stops with
the first non-cygwin application. I searched for known issues and
found a thread about killing JBoss server, but there were not many
details on what exactly the problem was and there was no resolution.
While I can't believe that no one else has been seeing this error, I
can only hope that I am missing to see some known information on this.
I appreciate any help on how to solve this problem if there is one
existing. I have very recent cygwin:

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 whitney 1.5.19(0.150/4/2) 2006-01-20 13:28 i686 Cygwin

Thank you,
Hari