RE: GNU Emacs screen size after screen size switching

I am using
   GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit) of 2004-03-22 on cm-test
on cygwin
   [glew@PXPL8591 ~] 506$ uname -a
   CYGWIN_NT-5.1 PXPL8591 1.5.19(0.150/4/2) 2006-01-20 13:28 i686 Cygwin
using X
   [glew@PXPL8591 ~] 507$ XWin -v
   Welcome to the XWin X Server
   Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
   Release: 6.8.2.0-4
in multiwindo3w mode.

I am running on an IBM ThinkPad T43p.

I often work on the 1400x1050 laptop screen disconnected.

I just as often work with the laptop's external video driving an
external LCD monitor, 1600x1200,
in addition to the laptop LCD.

I.e. I often run with two monitors, one 1400x1050 and the other
1600x1200.

Windows NT switches monitor modes well enough...

The various Cygwin XWindows apps run on both monitors - their Windows
window can be dragged to either monitor.

When I boot from scratch using the 1600x1200 external monitor,
Cygwin/X/GNU Emacs can use all of the 1600x1200 screen space.

However, in some situations, I find myself with GNU Emacs windows that,
when maximized in the 1600x1200 window, acts as if the X server, but not
Emacs, thinks that the display size is only 1400x1050.
   * The full Windows window is drawn
   * However, the X related Emacs stuff - the left side scroll bar, and
the title bar - is drawn suitable for only 1400x1050.
     There are white areas within the Windows window for the parts of
the screen that go beyond 1400x1050.
   * However^2, the text oriented part of Emacs seems to be acting as if
it has a full 1600x1200.
     The minibuffer and mode line are invisible, as is the right part of
the screen.  I can hit type, and the typing simply stops being drawn
when I go into
     the rightmost part, and reappears when the screen wraps.

Today I just noticed a new behavior:  with the external LCD as the
primary monitor, Emacs windows dragged to the laptop LCD no longer get
updated.  Emacs commands work, as can be seen by their side effects on
the windows title bar, and when they are dragged back to the primary
display. But nothing gets updated on the secondary display.
   I could swear that this does not always behave this way.  I could
swear that I have used emacs on the secondary display. But it is
possible that I have used it only in a read-only mode.

I am not 100% sure under what circumstances this occurs.  It is nearly
always related to when I dock or undock, converting from dual monitor
mode to single monitor mode and back again.  But I am not sure if it
occurs only if I booted in single monitor mode and thens witched.

Any help appreciated.

Mail to

andy dot glew at intel dot com

or

emacs-cygwin-issue at patten-glew dot net