Re: ERROR: Cannot open X display

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>. Reformatted.

Luis G. Rivera wrote:
---- Original message ----
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:02:18 -0600
From: Renà Berber <r.berber <AT> computer <DOT> org> Subject: Re: ERROR: Cannot open X display To: cygwin-xfree <AT> cygwin <DOT> com

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. Thanks.

Luis G. Rivera wrote:

I have used Cygwin/X on two computer in my office and it works
with no problems.  There are several users who cannot use the
softwared.  One in particular gets the following error messages:

ERROR: Cannot open X display.  Check display name/server
access authorization.
[snip]
This is the steps that I use in my office to run Cygwin/X:

1. Execute âstartxwin.batâ.
2. On the window that opens I type: xhost +
hostname.temple.edu. Then I type: ssh âX
userid@hostname.temple.edu. 3. I type my password and get in with no problem. Then I
type: setenv DISPLAY myipaddress:0.0.
This is wrong, if you used "ssh -X" then DISPLAY is already set (by ssh) and it
has a different value, usually localhost:10.0 for the first connection.

The idea is that ssh will tunnel the X connection through itself (thus
localhost) and it uses a configurable display number (the 10.0).

The reason it works from some computers and not from others is that even if the
X server exists at myipaddress:0.0 it could be blocked by any firewall between
computers; the ssh tunnel is the way to avoid being blocked.
> Thank you for your response.  Now, the question is what are the exact
> steps (if there are any) to actually get this to work?

Try skipping the "setenv DISPLAY myipaddress:0.0" step.

Holliston, MA 01746