Re: error when starting X-Win

Gmane User wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin X) wrote:
Gmane User wrote:
Martin Bartak wrote:
Hello,

How to delete </tmp/.X11-unix/X0> automatically when closing
X-session or,
how to prevent its emergence when starting X-sesion or,
how to make it re-writable by 'non-Administrator' user?

I've got Cygwin 1.5.23-2 (full installation) on WinXP with two
user accounts. I use 'startx' command to invoke X-Win
with default parameters or options.
When starting X-Win, a file named 'X0' is placed into /tmp/.X11-unix/
and it probably locks the X-server for current user (?)
This file persists after exiting from X-Win and also after exiting
from Cygwin. No problem if I start Cygwin and X-Win again
as the same user, but when I login as another user (different from
Administrator) X-Win cannot be started unless the previous X0 file
is deleted.
I have sshd installed, so I ssh into the account that owns /tmp/.X11
and remove it.  Better yet, I simply have the same account starting
Xwin all the time.  For example, if user1 is the Xwin account and I am
logged in as user2, I can ssh into user1 to start Xwin.  Or simply do
Start->run, then use the runas command to run startxwin.bat as user1
(full program path required).  The user2 login session hasn't been
interrupted; you just need to "export DISPLAY=:0.0" and then start
launching X applications.
The standard way this has been handled in the past is to set up a mount
point for '/tmp/' to a unique location.  In a default Windows
installation, the following should work (untested):

mount -b -u "$TEMP" /tmp

This keeps things unique for each user anyway.

That's quite cool.  I decorated it a bit to keep it all within my cygwin
file space.  Specifically, in my all-purpose ~/Temp directory:

	mkdir -p ~/Temp/tmp
	mount -b -u c:/cygwin/home/${USER}/Temp/tmp /tmp

Thanks!

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746