Can't open display error - when running Cygwin/X

Hi,

I've been running Cygwin for a while without problem. However now I
want to run Cygwin/X and I'm having problems:

I installed Cygwin/X per the instructions. I'm running it on XP
professional on our office network. I've opened up port6000 on our
proxy server and exited my local antivirus and software firewall.

At the cygwin prompt I run:

$ sh /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh

there is a delay of about 10 seconds and then I get the message:

$ xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0

There is *no* /tmp/XWin.log file generated. The /tmp directory is empty.

I've also run "$ XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error &"
from the command line and it seems to execute and finish immediately
with no log or error messages whatsoever. The process just disappears.

I've gone through the mailing list archives but have found nothing
that has helped me.

Any clues?