RE: RE: RE: Two issues with Xwin

> Thorsten wrote:
> I have two issues that I've been experiencing for quite a long time:
>
> * using a terminal and a shell I often have to enter Enter or Tab
> twice to get the desired effect. How come?
>
> Ronald wrote:
>
> Which effect do you desire? (Filename completion, command
> completion, ...)?
>
> Thorsten wrote:
>
> The desired effect for the Enter key would be to normal enter function
> of a shell. Tab should do file and command completion.
> I don't think the content of $INPUTRC is relevant when talking about
> Enter and Tab having no effect "on the first try".
> And I don't have any setting that would have the "do nothing on the
> first enter; wait for the second enter" effect.
>
> Ronald wrote:
> I guess you mean: "wait for the second *tab*" etc.
>

> SO, my question to Ronald is:  Have you read anything in this thread,
> or just posted to it a lot?  It's obviously NOT a zsh problem if it
> doesn't happen in Windows RXVT but does happen in X11 RXVT.

No need to start flaming though ....

Yes, I am aware of these differences, and - to make it clear, just in
case
- it that I think of it neither as "cygwin problem" nor "zsh problem" in
the sense of "problem" meaning a possible bug in cygwin and/or zsh; what
I wanted to say is that given that information posted (and I think I
read
every posting to this thread), I thought that maybe people at the zsh
mailing list could better help here (zsh - the last time I was
subscribed
to it - was a very high volume mailing list, even more than cygwin,
and many of the subscribers were actually using cygwin).

At the time the OP had just mentioned the problem, I thought that indeed
the differences could be cygwin related: When I run my X11 rxvt (from
startxwin.bat), different dot files in my home directory are sourced
than when I start a shell from the command line (outside X). There is
no mystery about this and has to do with the rules according to which
the shells (bash, zsh,...) read their dot-files.

But in the last mail, the OP said he has ONLY one dot-file, i.e. .zshrc,
(meaning it will be read in every interactive shell, be it login shell
or not) AND he is using zsh in both cases, AND he has no settings
related to
completion, AND still completion works in a different way in both cases.
To track down this mystery, I think it is worth digging down what other
configuration files (besides those in $HOME) might affect zsh. Since
I am not that big an zsh expert, and since no other posting so far
(unless
I missed one) gave any information about zsh, I think it was a
reasonable advice to post this issue to the zsh mailing list as well -
don't you think so?

> Fine,
> they COULD have different zsh binaries sourcing different environment
> files, but it's far more likely that Cygwin/X is misbehaving than that
> Thorsten somehow managed to find a zsh binary that sometimes eats the
> enter key.

As for the enter key, you are right. In his first posting, Thorsten
mentioned the "Enter or Tab" key "on the first try". Since both keys
are used in the context of completion, I guessed it was a completion
issue - and  Thorsten at least did not directly contradict this.

You seem to suggest that he meant that in *every* usage of enter
and tab, the first one has been eaten? If this were the case, it
would indeed change the picture, and maybe Thorsten could clarify
this issue.

Ronald
--
Ronald Fischer <ronald.fischer@venyon.com>