XWIN performance

I'm having some trouble running xwin.  Essentially, when I right-click
a menu, then move the mouse over the context menu, it takes up to 30
seconds for the selection to highlight.

The remote system and my system are both running nearly idle, so I
suspect tcp/ip buffering is happing.

Are there any config options to make the mouse more responsive?

Michael