Perforance problems under GNOME

I'm running Xwin in query Xdmcp mode in particular the line is as follows

%RUN% XWin -query %REMOTE_HOST% -nodecoration -clipboard -rootless -unixkill -notrayicon

Where remote host is either Solaris or Linux machine.

If the Session/Windown manager employed is Gnome then I suffer significant performance
problems. If I use CDE (Solaris) or KDE (Linux) I don't get the problem, even it I use
gnome applications from the other window managers.

This loss of performance is not immediate. But the closest I've got to identifying when the performance
takes a nose-drive is as soon as I start typing. I can start application from the menu, etc. but a soon as
I type 1 character response from every aspect of the window manage is very poor.

I've recently upgraded changed machine (to a more powerful one) and
consequently have upgraded to the current release of Cygwin rather than a version
that was two years old, and this wasn't a problem on the old machine. Some that should means
the fall is with current release/installation/machine, and not at the remote end.

Also, if the GNOME session is set to display a logout confirmation this window is not clickable,
or rather when I log out the confirmation window is presented, the rest of the desktop is greyed out
but clicking on OK or Cancel has no effect. The X Server must either be killed or wait for the session
to time out after ~2mins. This also appears to dependant on whether I've typed anything during the session
so might be related to these performance problems.

Any idea on how to solve or even diagnose this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

AMP.