Re: Problems using startxwin.bat

castlehill@comcast.net wrote:
I've been a subscriber to this list for some time, but I believe this
is my first
post.  I'm a college professor who uses Cygwin in a small PC lab.  I
can start
an X server just fine (I'm an Administrator under Windows on these
machines)
but my students cannot.  I've already read the FAQ.  Here are the
specifics:

i) When my students attempt to run startxwin.bat, they get a dialog
box telling
them they have a fatal error and to look at Xwin.log (I have attached
an Xwin.log
from a machine where a student attempted to use startxwin.bat).  I do
not get
this error when I run startxwin.bat; the X server comes up just fine.

ii) Here is the result of running ls -al /tmp /tmp/.X11-unix:

/tmp:
total 8
drwxrwxrwt+  3 blandry   Users           0 Feb  6 09:07 .
drwxrwxrwx+ 15 blandry   Users           0 Jan 28 16:50 ..
drwxrwxrwt+  2 lgriffith Domain Users    0 Feb  5 13:59 .X11-unix
-rwxr-xr-x   1 lgriffith Users        4533 Jan 28 17:33 XWin.log

/tmp/.X11-unix:
total 0
drwxrwxrwt+ 2 lgriffith Domain Users 0 Feb  5 13:59 .
drwxrwxrwt+ 3 blandry   Users        0 Feb  6 09:07 ..

(lgriffith is my account and it is an Administrator under Windows.
blandry is the
account of our lab tech and it is not an administrator account.)

There have been similar posts in the past about how to set up for multiple users. Since I don't have that setup, I can only offer a couple vague suggestions, including that you search again for those posts.

You seem to be on the right track that the problem is access to these files and directories in /tmp. If the files are there owned by you, another user can't come along and overwrite them. I believe some of the suggestions in the past included things like making sure this stuff gets cleaned up in /tmp and/or giving each user their own /tmp ($TMP or $TEMP).

HTH,
Cary