From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of
6kbnowe02@sneakemail.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:40 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: problem debugging xset command inside batch script (revised)

I have narrowed the problem down to the following:

It appears that I cannot run the xset command with the options I need
from a
Windows/DOS command shell or batch file. For example, when I enter the
command
	xset -q
the response is
	xset:  unable to open display ""
The same is true even if the xset command is called from within a bash
shell
script which itself is called from a Windows/DOS shell. So it's not due
bash or DOS. Rather, it's because the calling program doesn't have an X
display to communicate with.

As confirmation of this, I observe that the problem does not occur when
call the same script from a Cygwin/rxvt shell because this shell has an
display already defined.

It would be nice to be able to update the X font path on the fly and
only
when I want to start up this particular application, but short of that,
adding the necessary font path to the permanent X font path would be OK
too.
How do I do that?

Thanks,

jjo